I have a tumblr blog and an Etsy shop.

Find me on twitter @Sophieamyart

Tuesday 27 November 2012

Sewn Secrets

I've been working on some textile pieces. Im using the shapes of a few embroydery rings to give nice even shapes and sizes. I want them to appear quite traditional in this way - to look like the colour has faded from the thread. The fabric is quite a pink toned cream and the string is white so they are more different than the pictures show.


I'm using frames at the moment so they dont appear too scruffy but I might try putting poles in the top and bottom and hanging them like you would with a quilt.

As the title suggests they contain secrets with the letters sewn horizontally, vertically then upside down so they are completely unreadable. I'm thinking of picking a few of the words from the secrets as titles, so the one above would be called "The Only Thing" Which seems quite cryptic but I know exactly what the secret is about.

The thread is mortician sutre thread which I've been experimenting with staining with natural dyes like blackberries. And the canvas is from the protective bags woven coffins are stored in. It's quite nice fabric, very soft and it degrades as you sew it as it rips quite easily - which I like.


See more examples of my work on my facebook or my flickr account

No comments:

Post a Comment