I have a tumblr blog and an Etsy shop.

Find me on twitter @Sophieamyart

Monday 12 November 2012

Fine art project - third year

I have started my third year and final year of my degree. I started about a month ago. It's quite exciting. Esspecially since I am loving my project.

I have decided to look at Morbid Curiosity - about people's fear and fascination with death and all that goes with it.

So far I have looked closely at the surgical tools of the trade - forceps of different kinds, mortition needles and cotton thread used for procedures.

I have used the forceps in sculptures made of royal icing - reflecting a long tradition of feasting that carries along all cultures.

I have dyed the thread with a variety of natural and native plant dyes. Being affiliated with green cemeteries. Making this a tradition for myself. I have then used the thread to make textile portraits.

I have looked at waste products of the trade - using the canvas bags woven willow coffins come packed in, as a material to use. I have also got some pacemakers and some mud from graves to work with.

I have looked frankly at gravestones and how they are deconstructed selves. We get simplified and perfected after our deaths. I wrote a long list of words I strongly associate with myself. But I was unsure how to use them.

I started making patterns for writing or sewing the words until they are unrecognisable and blend into a mess. I then started thinking about secrets, how they define me more. I want to layer the words of my secrets - the ones I would tell no-one. So far I am liking how it looks.

I'll pop a few photos up when I have them. And I am going to make a short video of a slideshow of my medusa piece.

See examples of my work on my facebook or my flickr account

No comments:

Post a Comment