I have a tumblr blog and an Etsy shop.

Find me on twitter @Sophieamyart

Friday 31 January 2014

Choosing a colour for your pet.

Quick warning - this post will have lots of photos in, so may take a while to load.

Choosing a colour for your painting can be tricky. I know from experience as I have half finished painting of my dog Maisie that has taken 4 years to even get this far.



The easiest way to decide on what colour to get painted is to look at what colours you automatically choose for your pet.

For example - my boy Jacko wears either red or different types of blue. Since the way I paint means red is actually pink I could easily narrow my decision down to blue shades. My favourite type of blue is the tone right in between blue and green - so turquoise. This makes my process seem quite long winded - but it was a very quick decision in reality





This type of choice isn't fool proof - chestnut horses generally look amazing painted pink, but people often find pink rugs and head collars clash with their rich coat.

Another example is with my two dogs. They are very different personality-wise but wear quite similar colours.



Maisie - under all her fluff has a red collar.



Alice has a pink harness but also a purple collar (because accessories...)

Maisie doesn't suit pink. at. all. While Alice suits almost any colour, So (when I get around to painting them) I think I will simply swap their colours over - Alice a naughty candy pink, and Maisie a royal purple.

Another thing that can often dictate what colour will look good is the photo itself. The paler, more subtle colours that have gold or orange tones really benefit from photographs that have lots of highlights.

Photos where half the face is in shadow, and half in strong light, like in this photo of my super fluffy cat.







Hope this helps everyone make more confident colour decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment